[rescue] OT: Linux and USB on Intel

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sun Apr 20 15:23:07 CDT 2003

On Sunday, April 20, 2003, at 03:56 PM, David Passmore wrote:
> The fact remains that several companies are migrating from big iron to
> x86
> boxes running Linux, and there are documented cases I could give you
> URLs
> for, if you like. I could also relate my personal experiences with this
> phenomenon. Though I have no figures to prove it at the moment, it is
> my
> conjecture and experience that Linux is eroding other UNIXes, *not*
> Windows,
> and that it is in fact killing the only real hope we have of ridding
> the
> world of Windows and x86, making Dave McGuire's worst nightmare come
> true
> (even though he doesn't seem to see it the same way that I do).

   Well the x86 problem will take care of itself.  The architecture
itself hit a dead end two generations ago.  While I'm sure they'll do
their best to get another iteration out of it, I'll be shocked if they
can milk it for two, then it's done.  I'm not worried about it at all.

   x86 is a self-limiting problem.

        -Dave

--
Dave McGuire           "She's a cheek pincher.  I have scars."
St. Petersburg, FL                          -Gary Nichols