[rescue] OT: Linux and USB on Intel

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Sun Apr 20 15:22:12 CDT 2003

David Passmore <dpassmor at sneakers.org> wrote:

> I do. I consider Linux the greater evil. It is forcing the business
> world away from dedicated iron running much more mature UNIXes like
> Solaris, IRIX, or HP-UX, and towards a disposable x86 model because of
> budgetary concerns and short-term profit motives.
>
> For what it's worth, I'd rather see a Windows installed base co-exist
> with big iron than see everything move towards x86 hardware.

I'll hand it to you, that's a unique viewpoint.

Unfortunately, big iron costs way too much money for businesses like
mine and my employer's.  x86 is a great way where we can afford to have
a bunch of redundant systems quickly and with relatively few headaches.

I'm not saying that I necessarily like the situation, but it's better
than not being able to afford a infrastructure at all.  When you're
doing the startup thing, you use what best suits your financial model.

--
Kurt                 "Who am I kidding?  Cake is just a delivery
kurt at k-huhn.com        mechanism for icing."