[rescue] OT: Linux and USB on Intel

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sun Apr 20 13:56:19 CDT 2003

On Sunday, April 20, 2003, at 02:49 PM, David Passmore wrote:
> I do. I consider Linux the greater evil. It is forcing the business
> world
> away from dedicated iron running much more mature UNIXes like Solaris,
> IRIX,
> or HP-UX, and towards a disposable x86 model because of budgetary
> concerns
> and short-term profit motives.
>
> For what it's worth, I'd rather see a Windows installed base co-exist
> with
> big iron than see everything move towards x86 hardware.
>
> And let's face it, without the business world buying dedicated
> hardware from
> companies like Sun and seeing it come onto the used market a few years
> later
> still running strong, all we will have left to rescue is the cobbled-up
> remains of disposable x86 boxes.

   Hmm...I understand your point, and I agree that it's a good point,
but I'm not sure that I agree with it entirely.  Windows, in my
opinion, has damaged the computer industry (and the science) possibly
irreparably by teaching people that computer failures are "normal" and
that computers "just do that" and that it's "ok" to need to reboot
constantly.  This, and its associated cost in terms of support, lost
work, and lost time, I believe is a much larger problem.

        -Dave

--
Dave McGuire           "She's a cheek pincher.  I have scars."
St. Petersburg, FL                          -Gary Nichols