[rescue] Re: OT: Linux and USB on Intel

Gavin Hubbard ghub005 at xtra.co.nz
Sun Apr 20 10:56:25 CDT 2003

>On Sun, 20 Apr 2003, Dave McGuire wrote:
>
>>    I like Linux.  I like to keep a Linux box around to keep abreast of
>> the latest developments in that world.  But sometimes I wonder why I
>> even bother.
>>
>>          -Dave
>
>Well, I have been known to run a Linux box or 12, and I can tell you I
>have been frustrated with the 1386 platform hardware as well.  Mostly it's
>the result of cheap commodity hardware, specifically fans and
>powersupplies.  Both of these items can be upgraded significantly.  For
>instance on my main workstation, I got a "kit" deal and the powersupply
>300w and case came together for something like $22.

<snip>

-Linc Fessenden

Heh. I once tried to work out the rough cost of assembling PC style SMPS
using a component catalogue (IIRC Farnell or similar). I stopped counting
after I got to about $250.

I have _never_ understood how they can manufacture the components, assemble
the PSU, ship it around the world, sell it for around $20, and still make a
profit. Truly a miracle of the modern age.

Regards,

Gavin