[rescue] OT: Linux and USB on Intel

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sun Apr 20 10:46:24 CDT 2003

On Sunday, April 20, 2003, at 11:37 AM, Joshua D. Boyd wrote:
>>> PC hardware is perfectly usable with the right operating system.
>>
>>    ...unless you have anything important to do, that is.
>
> There are varying levels of important.  For levels of important that
> tolerate some downtime, well, store the files remotely, and when the PC
> smokes, grab the hot spare and resume work.

   Eh...I'm an impatient, unforgiving person.

>   Obviously sub optimal, but some people have trouble doing better.

   For those people, we will take up a collection and buy them low-end
Ultras. :)

> BTW, Google and the Internet wayback machine use a similar strategy.  I
> could be wrong, but even taking smoked machines and hot spares into
> account, I find it hard to believe that you could do that work for a
> similar budget on Suns.

   Of course Suns are more expensive.  Best != cheapest.  You really do
get what you pay for.  If you don't mind smoking off one machine in
your cluster every week or two, then use PCs.  Myself, I just don't
work that way.

          -Dave

--
Dave McGuire           "She's a cheek pincher.  I have scars."
St. Petersburg, FL                          -Gary Nichols