[rescue] SGI freeware

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sat Apr 19 10:58:16 CDT 2003

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003, Kevin wrote:

> These prerequisites are killing me.

That's because SGI's freeware archive sucks.  I've got an alternative on
the back-burner, but haven't had any time to mess with it lately.

Your best bet is to just download what you need for GCC, and roll your
own software.

> Is there a way to tell the software installer
> (i am referring to the app that is spawned when you
> choose"install" from the web site) to download and
> install any necessary prerequisites it may need for the
> packages i have selected?

No.  Also, don't click "install" from the web site.  Download the
tardist file and save it somewhere.  Then, untar it somewhere and run
swmgr, using that directory as the distribution source.  Now, when it
tells you it needs, something else, you can download/untar -that-
tardist, and just click "reload" in swmgr and retry--without starting
the whole process over again.

inst is an okay package manager, but it was NEVER designed with software
installs over a distributed network in mind.

> I see the option to install the prerequisites as well but i only
> see where i can browse for them locally, not just tell it to grab
> them from SGI's server.

swmgr doesn't talk HTTP.  You need to have all the files locally.

--
Jonathan Patschke *) "who has been feeding my cats crack again??  they
Thorndale, TX     (*  were doing chuck norris shit all over the apartment