[rescue] Request for recomendation [was: Why is everyone so OSX happy?]

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Tue Apr 15 00:21:27 CDT 2003

On Mon, Apr 14, 2003 at 12:57:29PM -0700, N. Miller wrote:
> On Sun, 13 Apr 2003 14:29:54 -0700, "Robert Novak" <rnovak at indyramp.com>
>
> 5lbs vs. 7lbs is a lot when you take it everywhere.  And I think the 12"
> is actually 4.4lbs, iirc?

4.9 and 5.9 respectively, according to apple.com.

> > I think the 3 year old Latitude P3 notebooks are still viable.
> > Maybe I'll take the dare and run W2k3 on my Inspiron 7000 when
> > I get more memory for it.
>
> I would compare 9.2 to W2k--try XP instead, then we'll see if it
> holds up. ;-)

I think W2k3 (note the 3--Windows 2003 Server) is a bit heavier duty
than XP home or pro. Or at least
has more dead weight to contend with. The machine is running win2k
now and, if it had more than 128MB RAM, would be quite perky. I
even found a rescued P2-233 Gateway usable with WinXPPro and Office
XP Pro. But then I ran Win95 October and Office95 beta on a 386/25
with 8MB/520MB. :)