[rescue] Re: Macs & IDE vs. SCSI

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Mon Apr 14 16:24:57 CDT 2003

On Monday, April 14, 2003, at 11:18 AM, Andrew Weiss wrote:
>>   - Computers are tools, not toys.
>>
> Hmm I think computers are both.  We wouldn't really have a  rescue
> list without the notion that computers are toys as well as tools.  I
> can think of only a few things more fun than rescuing an old machine
> and learning about it inside and out (it may not be that useful to me
> for what I do in life, but I don't care)  I have no use for my Crimson
> right now but I pay for the juice to keep it on because I love it
> plain and simple.  It's there for me to putter around with.  Some day
> I may actually need it who knows?

   Ok I'll admit that my definition of "toy" may not be exactly
mainstream.  Much of my recreation involves computers as well, but I
don't think that makes them toys...I haven't played a computer game in
probably ten years; my "computer-related recreation" involves things
like restoring old PDP-8s and PDP-11s, building hardware and writing
code for personal projects, etc...I don't consider any of that
"playing" by any stretch, so I don't consider the stuff to be "toys".

   But that's just me.

            -Dave

--
Dave McGuire           "She's a cheek pincher.  I have scars."
St. Petersburg, FL                          -Gary Nichols