[rescue] ide vs scsi

biscjohn at locutus.isu.edu biscjohn at locutus.isu.edu
Mon Apr 14 12:57:12 CDT 2003

On Mon, 14 Apr 2003, Bill Bradford wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 14, 2003 at 09:51:13AM -0600, biscjohn at locutus.isu.edu wrote:
> > Two drives, maybe.  Why would you need a interface-specific SCSI
> > controller?  Why can't a good old AHA-1542 do?
>
> Because this is a SPARC (an Ultra 5), not a x86/PC system?

Sorry, had it been SBUS, I'd have immediately twigged (but then again, Sun
had a clue in the SBUS machines and never polluted them with IDE).  Sun
and PCI is gross when uttered in the same breath, much less when a PCI bus
is put in a Sun.  That's your problem: you have the bastard stepchild
U5/10--note that no other Sun computer has a "CD-ROM and Hard Drive
Installation guide"
(http://www.sun.com/products-n-solutions/hardware/docs/pdf/80507115015.pdf).
Even Sun has to have a LISA once.

> And a 1542 is ISA.  I'd rather have PCI, thank you. 8-)

The point is that there exists a SCSI controller for almost every
interface bus.