[rescue] Macs & IDE vs. SCSI

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Sun Apr 13 13:19:36 CDT 2003

On Sun, Apr 13, 2003 at 08:17:06AM -0400, vance at neurotica.com wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Apr 2003, Phil Stracchino wrote:
>
> > > It isn't expensive if you go with Tcards and drives on ebay.  Not
> > > really any more expensive than SCSI.  The drives sometimes get cheaper
> > > because fewer people use it.
> >
> > What's a Tcard?
> >
> > (I actually just sold off a pile of FCAL disks because I didn't have a
> >  chassis to put them in.)
>
> It's a little card that allows you to put FC-AL disks in any old SCSI
> chassis.

Actually, I'm guessing not just "any old SCSI chassis" ...  all my big
SCSI chassis are SCA, and if you added anything between the SCA socket
on the backplane and the disk, the disk carrier wouldn't lock in place
any more.  To work in them, it'd have to do the conversion in zero
length.

But, as previously noted, I'm really not hurting for storage right now,
so I'll worry about FCAL if and when an A5000 falls into my lap.  :)