[rescue] Macs & IDE vs. SCSI

Frank Van Damme frank.vandamme at student.kuleuven.ac.be
Sun Apr 13 05:28:06 CDT 2003

On Saturday 12 April 2003 22:22, Dave McGuire wrote:
>    OMG I saw an ad for those the other day!  Glow in the dark IDE
> cables?!  Unbelievable.  I think that says a lot about IDE's primary
> market. ;)

Hehe. I'll tell you what the primary target for ide disks is: 99 percent of
the desktop users who use their disk to write 100 K of data every 5 minutes -
when MS-word autosaves it :-)

Not those who have 2 concurrent compilations running in the background while
they're running Maya on the computer that runs the Samba or NFS server in a
30-client network :-)

Actually, I also belong to the ide market for the simple reason that for the
money I'd spend on a few dozen gig of scsi space I can buy several of the 120
gig ide disks that I'll certainly purchase when I get more problems with disk
space as I have now. I simply can't afford scsi.

And yes, it has an impact on performance. My disk is a major bottleneck,
especially when compiling responsivity gets close to zero.

--
Frank Van Damme    | "Saying 8MB of RAM doesn't do as much anymore is
http://www.        | like saying a gallon of water holds more than it