[rescue] Macs & IDE vs. SCSI

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Sat Apr 12 14:23:31 CDT 2003

On Sat, Apr 12, 2003 at 03:00:11PM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
> [IDE] will never escape, for example, the silly master/slave
> thing...

Actually, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Serial ATA a point-to-point
connection with no master/slave distinction?  (Or are you not counting
Serial ATA as IDE?)

That said, yes, IDE master-slave configuration is and always has been a
pain in the ass, especially back in the days when getting devices from
different manufacturers to play nice together on the same IDE channel
frequently required black magic and blood sacrifices (and occasionally
would only work one way around, and sometimes just wouldn't work at all,
period).  Just let me set the drive's address and have done with it,
thank you very much.