[rescue] Macs & IDE vs. SCSI

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Sat Apr 12 14:06:10 CDT 2003

I usually try to stay out of IDE vs SCSI wars... as I usually try to
stay out of Mac vs PC wars, and occasionaly this unix vs that unis wars....

However, there are a few points I haven't seen anyone mention...

1. IDE drives are only now starting to support tagged command queing type
   features for optimizing access across a busy drive..... this is a
   definate advantage for SCSI drives vs the majority of IDE drives.
2. Most SCSI drives come with 5 year warranty... most IDE drives came with
   2 to 3 year warranties but have not been reduced (with some exceptions)
   to 1 year warranties.
3. SCSI is an internal and external buss.  There is no real external IDE
   buss.
4. More devices can be placed on a SCSI buss (yes, I know this one is
   obvious, but I haven't seen anyone bring it up yet).

I am a SCSI person... but I don't bash IDE.... IDE is a capable interface
and with DMA/UDMA is no longer a processor hog.... but it is IMHO still not
the best interface both in features and versatility.  I think much of what
people have been bashing about busy IDE drives/busses compared to busy
SCSI drives/busses has more to do with the drives... they generally don't
have the kind of features that SCSI drives have as SCSI is generally
built for servers/performance, and IDE is generally for one task single
user systems.

Of course, these are just my observatiosn and opinions.... as always YMMV.

-- Curt