[rescue] Re: Why is everyone so OSX happy?

Mike Meredith mike at blackhairy.demon.co.uk
Sat Apr 12 03:06:30 CDT 2003

On Saturday 12 April 2003 5:02 am, Gavin Hubbard wrote:
> >Also, I should also declare my support for Dave in his quest for
> > SCSI purity.  The only IDE drives I own are in laptops, and it will
>
> <aol>Me too</aol>

Me three. Or rather I agree about the speed advantage of SCSI over IDE.
I don't drive my home workstations hard enough to justify all-SCSI (or
rather I can't afford it), but my important data lives on the all-SCSI
Octane.

I sometimes wonder if other people are talking about a different kind of
IDE to the one I see. Every single IDE-based system I've used enough
has had a performance brick wall you hit if you get enough disk I/O
going; whereas SCSI systems just don't have this wall ... they get
slower of course, but in a graceful manner.

As an example, last night I was in the middle of doing the Gentoo
equivalent of "make world", and reading my email at the same time. At
one point the email became unacceptably sluggish (to the point where I
thought the application may have crashed ... I've been using Windows
too much recently). Now 6 months ago, I could easily have been doing
the equivalent on my Indigo2 which would *not* have worked like that
... it would have been slower, but at no point would I have been under
the impression that something had crashed.