[rescue] Re: [geeks] Why is everyone so OSX happy?

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Fri Apr 11 22:44:52 CDT 2003

On Friday, April 11, 2003, at 11:03  AM, vance at neurotica.com wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Apr 2003, Kevin wrote:
>
>> I don't mean to offend anyone here (with the possible exception of
>> Steve
>> Jobs) but i am curious as to why so many people here seem to love OSX,
>> especially people who understand and are familiar with other unices?
>> In my eyes, OSX is an unpolished, tacky, eye candy bloated mess.
>
> I tend to like the way OSX does its graphics.  I got OSX because I was
> looking for a laptop, and the PowerBook G4 is IMHO the nicest laptop on
> the market.  My dad has an IBM Thinkpad T30 1.8GHz that runs NetBSD
> and it
> isn't even comparable.  That said, then my choice was between
> NetBSD/macppc and MacOS X.  I chose OSX because I am used to NetBSD,
> being
> that I run it on many other machines, and OSX *feels* like NetBSD, but
> looks prettier and runs games and movies better.

Speaking of which for any Star Control 2 fans (wee I can ditch the 486
soon), the original authors of SC2 have ported the 3DO version of the
game to Windows and Mac OS X (as well as Linux).  The source code is
GPL and the libraries are based on SDL.  It's quite playable on the Mac
even if the intro and the sound fx aren't finished... i.e. mods (music)
plays but sfx (wavs) are not endian safe yet so weapons fire produces
no noise.

It's at http://sc2.sourceforge.net/

Andrew