[rescue] Request for recomendation [was: Why is everyone so OSX happy?]

Rich Kulawiec rsk at gsp.org
Fri Apr 11 22:23:13 CDT 2003

On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 09:14:16PM -0400, Chris Hedemark wrote:
> I have the 15" model from last year and love it.  It's great for video
> editing (I use Final Cut Express).

Chris (and/or anyone else): what Apple laptop model(s) would you
recommend (or un-recommend) for someone like me?

	1. Unix-phile; I suppose I need to have something that OSX
	will continue to support in the future.  Barely-if-at-all
	Mac-literate, having lived in the SUN/DEC/HP/IBM/SGI/etc.
	world for years.

	2. Don't need hi-performance (e.g. hardcore gamer) graphics.
	Enough to run web browers and watch the occasional low-res
	streaming video off the 'net is fine.  (do need >= 24 bits
	of color though)

	3. Need ability to manipulate MIDI and audio files, pull
	audio from CDs, write audio to CDs, etc.

	4. Need to have a way to talk 9600/8/N/1 to many devices
	made by a certain company often discussed here. ;-)

	5. Long battery life would be nice; a way to plug into
	a solar panel to extend that life would be even nicer as
	frequent outdoor use is anticipated.  (Does anybody make
	a solar recharger for these things?)

	6. Because of frequent outdoor use ;-), some degree of
	ruggedness would be nice.  (I'm not brutal to systems,
	but one that breaks easily would be a bad idea.)

---Rsk