[rescue] Why is everyone so OSX happy?

Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 patrick at zill.net
Fri Apr 11 20:45:32 CDT 2003

On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 07:33:46PM -0400, Dave McGuire wrote:
>  > Indeed.... many disk performance problems go away when you add more
>  > RAM (up to a point, of course).
>
>    ...then it wasn't a disk performance problem in the first place!

Not necessarily, if having more disk caching in RAM allows you to
re-order the disk writes and thus reduce seek time.

>  > And BTW, there is very little difference between a 7200rpm SCSI and
>  > 7200rpm IDE drive these days, assuming that the IDE drivers don't
>  > totally suck.
>
>    Well no, I don't agree, as I've seen otherwise.
>
>    Go ahead and run IDE...and send me your old crappy SCSI drives,
> because I apparently get much better performance out of them than you
> do.

Note the caveat - perhaps Apple's IDE drivers suck.  Wouldn't put it
past them since it gives them market differentiation.

Anyone here got a dmesg from an OSX box with IDE drive(s)?

Cordially
| Patrick Giagnocavo, patrick at zill.net             |
| Zill.Net - OpenACS, Postgres, Python hosting     |
| OpenACS v4 shared server       $19.95/month      |
| Colocation w/30GB transfer     $99.00/month      |
| Managed servers (incl. system) $175/month        |