[rescue] Homemade Racks?

Jeffrey Nonken jeff_work at nonken.net
Fri Apr 11 19:12:41 CDT 2003

On Fri, 11 Apr 2003 09:01:48 -0700 (PDT), Lionel Peterson
<lionel4287 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com> wrote:
>
> >    Eh?  IKEA rocks...what are you talking about??
> >
> >    I think a lot of things get made fun of on TV shows because of
> > their *popularity*, not their UNpopularity.
>
> The humor usually centers around the difficulty of idiots to assemble
> idiot-proof furniture.

Heh.

There is a Futurama episode ("Less Than Hero") where the "PiKEA" robot (who
has a Swedish accent and looks like TV stand) delivers a super-collider
kit, then falls apart as it leaves. The super-collider is missing some
parts, and explodes later in the episode. Professor Farnsworth tells his
people to return the super-collider and exchange it for "a rickety CD rack
and some of those rancid Swedish meatballs."

I think that one was clearly a poke at IKEA. :)

Well, a lot of the stuff at IKEA is less than stellar quality, but my
entertainment center (for all that my wife grouses about it "sucking the
light out of the living room") has held up well for years, and we're quite
happy with our dining room table.

http://www.nonken.net/images/P7060809_My%20Entertainment%20Center.JPG

Unfortunately, I don't believe they sell the series that my entertainment
center is made of any more. :(

---
6L666 -- vacuum tube of the beast.