[rescue] Why is everyone so OSX happy?

N. Miller vraptor at promessage.com
Fri Apr 11 17:43:56 CDT 2003

On Fri, 11 Apr 2003 15:10:34 -0400, "Dave McGuire"
<mcguire at neurotica.com> said:
> On Friday, April 11, 2003, at 01:39 PM, Chris Hedemark wrote:
> >> 3. OSX has several issues with USB devices on boot, especially
> >> if you are booting from SCSI devices and not IDE.  That circle
> >> with a slash through it, "prohibited" sign gets annoying when
> >> it comes up once out of every four or five reboots (yes the
> >> SCSI chain is properly terminated.)
> >
> > Most people won't run into this because most OS X boxes don't run SCSI
> > (and most of those that do don't boot off of SCSI).
>
>    Not to be argumentative Chris, but I don't think I know anyone
> (except for PowerBook users) who *doesn't* run (and boot from) SCSI on
> their OS X boxen.

I boot off of SCSI on the beige G3.  There's a PITA for OS X, had to take
out
all the memory over 128MB *again* for the 10.2.4 update :-/.  It was so
unstable b/w 10.2 and 10.2.4 that I just shut the thing off.  Booted off
of
SCSI on the B&W G3 I ran at $last_job using 10.1.x (ugly, glad I had
SCSI,
since it was swap hell with only 128MB).  Did not on boot from SCSI on
the
dual 500 G4 w/1.5GB of RAM, also at $last_job.  Wish I could boot from
SCSI
on the Pismo/400 (contemplating going to the fluid bearing 40GB IBM 2.5
w/8MB
cache should I decide to keep it).

There are a lot of little niggling things about OS X I don't like (e.g.
aliases !=
links), but mostly it works, and it's kind of "the best of both
worlds"--I only
need one box to do Unix and cool video/music/art/etc.  Now, if I were
running
a server, I think I'd have more issues.  Take the swap files.  When I was
trying to improve the speed of the B&W under 10.1, you could relocate
your
swap files to make it faster, but if you had a crash, it wouldn't delete
them.
So, when you restarted, you got the swap files in the "normal" place.  I
don't
know if this is smarter under the 10.2 or not--I haven't had the
opportunity
to mess with it.  I'd hope the server version didn't do this.

=Nadine=
--
  N. Miller
  vraptor at promessage.com