[rescue] Macs & IDE vs. SCSI

Chris Hedemark chris at yonderway.com
Fri Apr 11 17:12:41 CDT 2003

On Friday, April 11, 2003, at 04:24 PM, Dave McGuire wrote:

>   Eeeeew, IDE weenies.  Don't you guys care about your disk
> performance?

Yes.  To a point.  I do video post production, which was my major
justification for buying the Mac in the first place.  The on-board IDE
drive sucks for video work (barely adequate if you don't move beyond
iMovie).  I grabbed a 120GB IDE drive in a firewire enclosure and use
that for my video editing.  It's plenty fast for that sort of work,
where sustained predictable performance levels are important.  It's
nowhere near as fast as my Xyratex SAN but it doesn't need to be.