[rescue] dumb questions I have many.....SGI indigo2

Meelis Roos mroos at linux.ee
Fri Apr 11 14:33:23 CDT 2003

> > is there anyway to label an SGI disk from a sun,
> > linux(intel),intel,or Mac
> I think no.

In principle, Linux fdisk should be able to create a
SGI disklabel, dvhtool can put kernels etc into volume headers
and xfsutils should be able to create XFS filesystems. In theory it
works but fx is a much more simple way IMHO(*).

(*) There have been problems with standard IRIX installation in graphics
mode. I did experience them with IRIX 6.2 on Indigo2 (reboot after
miniroot kernel boots up) and Indy (panic after miniroot kernel boots
up). In both cases the install via serial console worked fine.

Meelis Roos             e-mail: mroos at ut.ee
                        www:    http://www.cs.ut.ee/~mroos/