[rescue] Why is everyone so OSX happy?

Kevin kevin at mpcf.com
Thu Apr 10 21:58:55 CDT 2003

I don't mean to offend anyone here (with the possible
exception of Steve Jobs) but i am curious as to why so many
people here seem to love OSX, especially people who understand
and are familiar with other unices?  In my eyes, OSX is an
unpolished, tacky, eye candy bloated mess.

For instance:

1. There are seriously, a TON of UI inconsistencies, something
that doesn't make sense because Apple has always been very
good in this regard.

2. I don't have any problems with them offering the eye candy
stuff for those who want it or even with it being the default
operation.  I do have major issues with them not giving users
a way to turn most of it off.

3. OSX has several issues with USB devices on boot, especially
if you are booting from SCSI devices and not IDE.  That circle
with a slash through it, "prohibited" sign gets annoying when
it comes up once out of every four or five reboots (yes the
SCSI chain is properly terminated.)

4. There are several places where the code is just simply not
finished.  The file manager for instance.

Of course i prefer it over anything Win32 based and if it ever
matures, and they clean up the inconsistencies, then i can see
it being something i might want to work with.  But until then
i only deal with the dual G4 when absolutely necessary.

So please someone, let me know what is so @%$&*@#! great about
it?  Then perhaps i will see the light too....

/KRM

--
keyserver: http://pgp.mit.edu/