[rescue] Homemade Racks?

N. Miller vraptor at promessage.com
Thu Apr 10 13:24:38 CDT 2003

On Thu, 10 Apr 2003 13:11:13 -0400, "Sheldon T. Hall" <shel at cmhcsys.com>
said:
> > P.S. ObRescue: anyone have experience building their own racks
> > out of plywood planks w/pine beams? Any problems?
>
> Never tried that, but (a) I've thought about it and (b) I've also thought
> about "Handy Angle", a general purpose "Erector set" type of industrial
> shelving/racking material.
>
> Since I don't have a single rack-mount anything, though, I'll probably
> wait....

I went to CostCo (warehouse store) and got one of the rolling crhome-
plated steel wire-rack units.  Nice, big, rubber casters, and you can
get extra shelves for them at places like The Container Store (there
are probably other places you can get them cheaper).  I have my desktop
towers side by side on one shelf, and use another for the rack-oriented
stuff.
The other shelves house supplies.

I also have one in the kitchen that the microwave is on; it's also used
for
storing bulk stuff like cases of soda.

You might be able to get them cheaper at a place that sells used
restaurant
equipment, as they are used in the food industry.

This is the company that made mine:
<http://www.sevilleclassics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=SC&Category_Code=S>

Costco's prices were better than theirs.

I thought about racks, since they are pretty cheap to find in Silicon
Valley
these days. :-/  But, that was just a little over the edge for me in
terms
of "bringing the work home".  And they are a little more multi-purpose,
so
I can re-use them if I ever ditch the gaggle of computers...

=Nadine=
--
  N. Miller
  vraptor at promessage.com