[rescue] Top 10 Sun?

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Thu Apr 10 08:26:02 CDT 2003

On Thu, 10 Apr 2003, PurpleT3K wrote:

> 1. Sun 2/120
> 2. Sun 3/60

Never used them, but the 3/60 always struck me as paricularly well-
designed.

> 3. SPARCstation 1

Hardy little boxes, but pretty underpowered.  You could've at least
picked a 1+.

> 4. ULTRA 1

Nice.  I have nearly half a dozen of them.  They can't hold a candle to
their bigger brother, the U2, though.

> 9. SPARCstation 10

Another venerable workhorse.  I can't recall how many of these I
deployed for a former employer--easily two dozen over the course of one
quarter.

> 10. ULTRA 5

*choke*

I thought this was a list of the top-10 -best- Sun workstations, not the
top-10 worst-performing and underengineered Sun workstations.  Next to
its contemporaries (U30, U60), it's a festering heap of dung.  It has
CMD640 IDE, for goodness' sake--the same IDE controller that caused
Apple so much grief in the early G3 line!  Granted, it's a decent piece
of equipment (if you've nothing else, anyway), but it's nowhere near the
"best of".

--
Jonathan Patschke  *)  Q:  What do you call the hum of a rack of Apple
Thorndale, TX      (*      XServes?