[rescue] color printer recommendations?

Phil Stracchino alaric at caerllewys.net
Wed Apr 9 21:58:14 CDT 2003

On Wed, Apr 09, 2003 at 11:47:04AM -0500, Bill Bradford wrote:
> We've currently got a Tek Phaser 340 here at work, and are looking for
> something cheaper (both to maintain and to supply; Tek wants $1K/year
> for a support contract on this) that has at least 300dpi resolution.
>
> It mostly gets used for personal stuff, but also does color brochure and
> presentation prints for customers.

Well, first of all, the Phaser 340 is a piece of crap.  A previous
employer of mine bought one against my and several other people's
recommendations ....  the first they realized this had been a bad idea
was when they started auditing the accounts for the department that
owned it on paper, and realized they were spending 60 cents per page on
consumables alone even before considering maintenance.  And even that
was with the vendor giving them the black wax for free.

I'd personally recommend, depending on your volume requirements, a HP
LaserJet 4500DN or 8500DN.  Either one will deliver image quality that
makes the Phaser 340 look like a kid playing with crayons, without all
the 340's vices.

You might also see if you can trade the Phaser 340 in on a Phaser 780 or
something like that.  The 780 is a true color laser rather than a
thermal-wax printer, and as an added bonus it'll handle up to 11x17
paper.