[rescue] DLT2000/4000 "loader only"?

Jeffrey Nonken jeff_work at nonken.net
Tue Apr 8 08:00:30 CDT 2003

On Tue, 8 Apr 2003 08:40:27 -0400, "David L Kindred (Dave)"
<d.kindred at telesciences.com> wrote:

> The stand-alone DLT drives I have all have a clunky hand-operated "door"
> that would certainly be a deficit in a loader.  I haven't seen a
> "loader" DLT, but I suspect that door is not attached, but there may be
> some other mechanism to keep the tape in place.

I'd think the same thing. Looking at this PDF
http://intelligent-peripheral.com/manuals/tz88_ug.pdf, that release
mechanism looks awfully clunky for any kind of automation.

> I can't imagine why you would NEED to, but I could see there being minor
> differences in firmware also (perhaps just for "product differentiation"
> purposes)

If the library firmware is tightly integrated with the drives, it might
insist on the correct product ID. I'd think most software would only be
concerned with whether it can talk to the drive and the library, and not
much more.

---
Borger King: Have it our way. Your way is irrelevant.