[rescue] UPS batteries, west coast

phoetoid phoetoid at pyrospheric.net
Mon Apr 7 11:21:40 CDT 2003

Well from what I Read (remember, I'm only 17, so I don't know too much
;), if you discharge those batteries completely, or nearly completely,
if you use the UPS to charge back up, you could run the risk of a)
frying the battery if you have them discharge a lot (which isn't likely)
and b) if you let the UPS charge them, you seem to lose some capacity on
the battery, since they charge..differently? I'll have to find the link
again, where I read about how to do this. Anyways, I read on the
batteries themselves, that you should use a trickle charge (12v slow
charge or something to that effect on the battery charger) to charge
them back up if you totally discharge them, to avoid that loss of
capacity.  Also, I don't know how much runtime I could have gotten with
regular UPS 1000's, since I got all three of them out of a dumpster,
with boiled over batteries in them, or no batteries at all. Sorry I
can't answer that question for you. Well wait...on the UPS site,
http://apc.com/resource/include/techspec_index.cfm (the kinds that I
have) it says you get about 6 minutes of backup at full load of 670
watts. I have four servers, with 400W power supplies on there, and it
ran them for 5 hours and 52 minutes, before the low battery warning came
on. So I get a slightly longer life with large batteries.
I suppose you could use more batteries too, as long as you have the 24v
needed (the two batteries are in series, so they are 24v) but I don't
know how you could go about hooking them up to still be 24v.

Charlie Richards - phoetoid at pyrospheric.net   [ www.pyrospheric.net ][
www.unixforums.net [ www.bsdvault.net ]