[rescue] Ultra SPARC purchase

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Sat Apr 5 17:48:59 CST 2003

On Sat, 5 Apr 2003, Chris Hedemark wrote:

> The Ultra 5's get a good amount of bashing here, probably more than
> they deserve.

No, they really deserve it.  The 10 deserves just as much because, while
you can use the UPA slot, the case is a complete PITA, evening things
out.

> With a later model IDE drive installed they are actually pretty decent
> machines.

Just don't run more than one drive per channel on either system.  The
U5/U10 uses the worst implementation of IDE known to the industry.

> Shhh don't tell my Ultra 5, otherwise it might have to drop to 800x600.

The older revisions of the M64 didn't have enough framebuffer to do
1024x768x24.

> Not all Ultra 5's are configured equally.

True.

--
Jonathan Patschke  *)  Q:  What do you call the hum of a rack of Apple
Thorndale, TX      (*      XServes?