[rescue] Anyone ever use an LX for ppp?

Sheldon T. Hall shel at cmhcsys.com
Fri Apr 4 15:26:36 CST 2003

> Phil Stracchino wrote
> On Fri, Apr 04, 2003 at 12:35:46PM -0800, Clayton Wheeler wrote:
[snip]
> > Have you tried operating the modem at 2400 baud (groan)?
>
> I haven't, but it's worth a try.  I'll give it a shot next time I'm
> offline and can move the modem again.

Those older Sun boxes had crappy serial ports, but they weren't _that_
crappy.  I've run my IPX at 9600 to a terminal, and I probably did with the
LXes and Classics, too.  You can't run 'em at a standard speed faster than
38,400, though, so if your modem is faster than that, it will have to be
convinced to (a) speak more slowly and (b) lock that speed.  Most modern
modems will do that automatically, but check the doco.

I assume you've exhausted the remedies at
http://www.stokely.com/unix.serial.port.resources/index.html, but I don't
really have much to add.  I've connected various modems to various computers
for many years, but never one to a Sun.

-Shel