[rescue] 711 vs. 214 Sun Arrays

Curtis H. Wilbar Jr. rescue at hawkmountain.net
Wed Apr 2 14:04:22 CST 2003

>Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 12:48:38 -0500 (EST)
>From: "r. 'bear' stricklin" <red at bears.org>
>To: The Rescue List <rescue at sunhelp.org>
>Subject: Re: [rescue] 711 vs. 214 Sun Arrays
>
>On Wednesday, April 2, 2003, at 07:57  AM, Joshua D. Boyd wrote:

.
.
.

>I have three 711 cabinets. One UltraSCSI model, and two 12-slot not.
>
>I can confirm the following things:
>
>1. The fan noise in the 711 is generally low-pitch and unobtrusive.
>2. The same cannot be said for 24 9GB disks.
>3. The 12-slot (non-UltraSCSI) model does NOT work reliably at 20 MHz.

Ummm... I'm running a 12 slot enclosure on a 2940UW.  I believe it is
running at 40mb/sec (which corresponds to 20mhz scsi clock).
I've been running it almost 3 years without a hitch.

I don't know what the results would be trying to run this at LVD speeds...
I'd imagine that the autotermination wouldn't like it... but I don't know
what would happen if you put a LVD terminator on the back to not use
the auto terminator.

How long was your SCSI buss ????  I have 3 internal devices, and the
one 12 slot Multipack on maybe a 1.5 to 2ft cable.  Never had a problem
with it.

>Whether the UltraSCSI models work reliably at 40 or 80 MHz I can't
>answer. I'd be surprised, but it wouldn't be the first time. Mine is on
>an Antares SBUS UltraWide controller in a UE2.

I think all the UltraSCSI spec models only offer 6 SCA connectors.  I
think all the 12 drive multipacks are officially non "UltraSCSI", although
YMMV as mine seems to work fine.