[rescue] 711 vs. 214 Sun Arrays

r. 'bear' stricklin red at bears.org
Wed Apr 2 11:48:38 CST 2003

On Wednesday, April 2, 2003, at 07:57  AM, Joshua D. Boyd wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 02, 2003 at 07:24:13AM -0500, Bill Martin wrote:
>> I'm thinking about getting an array to use with my Ultra1.  I'm
>> considering both the 711 Ultra Multipack and the 214 RSM.  I'm
>> particularly interested in the sound level.  I've heard a 214 and it
>> seems tolerable.  The fan in the 711 looks huge.  Does anyone have any
>> advice about noise or any other aspect?
>
> Err, do you care about being able to do UltraSCSI?  I've heard that 711s
> generally work with UltraSCSI, but I can confirm that the RSM214 is
> strictly works at Fast Wide speeds.

I have three 711 cabinets. One UltraSCSI model, and two 12-slot not.

I can confirm the following things:

1. The fan noise in the 711 is generally low-pitch and unobtrusive.
2. The same cannot be said for 24 9GB disks.
3. The 12-slot (non-UltraSCSI) model does NOT work reliably at 20 MHz.

Whether the UltraSCSI models work reliably at 40 or 80 MHz I can't
answer. I'd be surprised, but it wouldn't be the first time. Mine is on
an Antares SBUS UltraWide controller in a UE2.

ok
bear