[rescue] Vesa Local Bus video cards

Jochen Kunz jkunz at unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Tue Apr 1 01:54:40 CST 2003

On 2003.04.01 05:41 Joshua D. Boyd wrote:

> I'm not sure why people don't focus on pushing
> the PCI standard instead of pushing AGP.  I mean, several manufactors
> make or made boards with mostly PCI33/32 but one or two PCI64/66
> slots, and PCI 64/66 was about the same speed as the first 2 or 3
> generations of AGP, so why not keep pushing PCI faster and still
> only provide one or two really good slots and a lot of slower ones?
Marketing. PCI and especially AGP are "inventions" of Intel. When 32/33
PCI became to narrow for graphics, Intel invented AGP to be the market
leader in chipsets. Other chip set producers had no AGP and the PeeCee
crowd wanted that new, fast graphics thing, so they had to go with Intel
chip sets. Other chip set producers got AGP later, but they had to pay
$$$ to Intel for licences.... So AGP is a child of marketing for 100%, a
typical PeeCee thing. Some ceap kludge to make more $$$ instead of
proper engineering. "Real" Machines like Alphas or HP9k had 64/66 MHz
PCI for graphics quite early.
--

tsch|_,
       Jochen