[rescue] Sparc Station 1+ update

Jochen Kunz jkunz at maja.unixag-kl.fh-kl.de
Mon Sep 30 04:33:57 CDT 2002

On Mon, Sep 30, 2002 at 09:08:48PM +1200, Kenneth Dunn wrote:

> run arp to see what is cached and wait until I got the following:
> 	sparc     (incomplete)     eth0
> then run arp again: arp -H ether -i eth0 -s sparc 8:0:20:a:1:f
> then run in.tftpd
> then it would boot.
> Any ideas why ?
When the sparc wants too boot, it requests its own IP via rarp.
The linux box responds and then the sparc wants to do tftp / UDP.
Linux is to dump to put a rarp mapping into the arp table.
This causes the linux box to querry the MAC addr. of the sparc
via an arp request. The sparc is to dump to reply to this request,
so the linux box doesn't get the MAC addr. of the sparc.
No MAC addr., no IP networking, hence the "incomplete".
If you make a permanent arp mapping via "arp -s" the linux
box knows the MAC addr. of the sparc already when it starts to
do tftp. So no arp request is needed and everything works as
expected.
I don't know why you need two "arp -s". For me a single arp
call was sufficient when I did this games with Linux.
--

tsch,
         Jochen