[rescue] SGI tidbits

Tim H. lists at pellucidar.net
Sun Sep 29 20:36:48 CDT 2002

On Sun, 29 Sep 2002 16:13:41 -0700 (PDT)
vraptor at employees.org wrote:

> The SGI guy said that the 192MB number came from IRIX +
> Netscape. :-)
>
> No mention of emacs was made.
>
> =Nadine=
To me, to say all non-graphics uses of a machine are <= Netscape+OS is
either a sign of not knowing what computers are used for, or a sign that
Netscape is a real bad memory hog and nothing else will use as much.  On
the other hand, I must admit that as a daily driver I seldom use that
much RAM, unless I am building pages, and have multiple windows open in
multiple browsers for rendering comparison.  Netscape and Mozilla at the
same time take a pretty big bite, I guess it is good I don't live in a
WYSIWYG web editor.

Tim