[rescue] SGI tidbits

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sun Sep 29 18:23:16 CDT 2002

On Sunday, September 29, 2002, at 07:16 PM, vraptor at employees.org wrote:
>>> I guess 'cause it's expected.  Come on, we're talking SGI, here,
>>> when did logic have to do with anything they've built?  (Like the
>>> last "rack" based SGI--didn't fit the 24"x24" footprint of every
>>> datacenter I've ever been in.)
>>
>> I can't imagine that would really be the case.  I doubt that even Pete
>> could seriously acuse them of that.
>
> My SO worked at SGI during their launch party on that "completely
> configurable" rack SGI.  It *didn't* fit a 24"x24" footprint.
> The look on the marketing guys' faces when he pointed this
> out was apparently priceless.  I wish I could have seen it.

   I've installed a lot of racks in a lot of computer rooms, and I've
*never* seen one that fit in a 24x24 footprint.  Width-wise, sure...but
every rack I've ever seen or used has been much deeper.  As a matter of
fact, many of them were Sun racks.

   Maybe I've led a sheltered life or something.

      -Dave

--
Dave McGuire              "PC users only know two 'solutions'...
St. Petersburg, FL             reboot and upgrade."    -Jonathan