[rescue] SGI tidbits

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sun Sep 29 09:59:26 CDT 2002

On Sunday, September 29, 2002, at 12:15 AM, Scott Newell wrote:
>> couple of Emacs sessions can chew up lots of memory, too.  And let's
>> not
>> forget that a single session of Mozilla munches 80MB on a TrueColor
>> display.
>
> Who knew that rendering web pages was such a memory intensive
> operation?  ;-)
>
> But seriously, why on earth would it suck down 80MB?

   Much of Mozilla's user interface is compiled-in, run-time-interpreted
Javascript.  That seems (to me) to account for much of its unbelievably
shitty performance on even the fastest of machines.  It was a really,
really stupid decision.

          -Dave

--
Dave McGuire              "PC users only know two 'solutions'...
St. Petersburg, FL             reboot and upgrade."    -Jonathan