[rescue] SGI tidbits

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Sat Sep 28 22:45:23 CDT 2002

On Sat, Sep 28, 2002 at 10:00:28PM -0500, Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

> > 2) If you are working with Maya and texture maps, the O2 and
> > the Onyx (memory is hazy on the 2nd--I remember the O2 because
> > I have one) are the only ones that will handle in excess of 1GB
> > texture maps.
>
> It would be Onyx2 or Onyx with IR.  They have -gobs- of texture memory.
> O2 has UMA, so any system memory that you have available can be used as
> framebuffer or texture memory.  I wish they'd have put UMA on a XIO
> machine--that seems like it could easily give you the best of both
> worlds.

The Onyx with IR doesn't take that much texture memory.  To get a gig of
texture ram on an SGI, I think the only choice is IR4 or O2.  However,
I'd imagine that the Onyx level machines would be pretty good at dealing
with insufficient texture ram, but I've never really put one to the test.

--
Joshua D. Boyd