[rescue] SGI update help

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Tue Sep 24 22:02:00 CDT 2002

On Wed, 25 Sep 2002, Tim Chong wrote:

> Conflicts 2-96 seem to have something to do with eoe.sw.base! I tried

The problem is that you downloaded 6.5.17m, and you have 6.5.7f.  The
"f" means "feature stream", and the "m" means "maintenance stream".  In
order to install the 6.5.17m that you have, you would need to switch
streams, which can be extremely difficult to do (and impossible if you
don't have a complete set of 6.5.7 installation CDs).

If you want 6.5.17, you will need to back up your system, and reinstall
6.5.7 from the miniroot, choosing the "maintenance stream", when prompted.
Then, once the system is stable, you can upgrade to 6.5.17m.

The reason the conflicts are all with eoe.sw.base are because the
version numbers for the maintenance-stream eoe.sw.base are different
than those for eoe.sw.base in the feature-stream.  So, you technically
have the wrong OS installed for that update.

> If needed I can redo the whole install, what will be a proper way to
> get up to date?

See above, or find a friend who has a 6.5.17 update media kit (or look
for one on eBay).  However, if you plan to do any software development
at all (even compiling other people's software), you might wait to wait
for 6.5.18 to be released.  6.5.18 will contain a -lot- of fixes to the
C++ runtime library.  I don't know if all the fixes will be in 6.5.18m,
but if you're going to hunt around for an update media kit, it will be
much better to spend your money on 6.5.18 than 6.5.17.

I'm running 6.5.16f right now, and saw nothing in 6.5.17 worth upgrading
over, but you can bet that I'll be shaking the tree once 6.5.18 is
available.

--
Jonathan Patschke
   > Can you SysAdmins tell me what might go on in a typical day?
   Hours of endless frustration punctuated by moments of sheer terror.
                                 --Saul Tannenbaum (in the Monastery)