[rescue] Anyone here familiar with 10Base36 ?!?

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Sat Sep 21 14:07:37 CDT 2002

On Saturday, September 21, 2002, at 02:59 PM, Jonathan C. Patschke
wrote:
>> Except that most fibre cable for outdoor use has a metal jacket....
>> :-)
>
> I'd always seen it run in some sort of nonconducting conduit under
> ground.  Is the jacketed variety for running on poles?

   That's the stuff I was talking about...corrugated plastic tubing,
maybe 1.5" diameter.  Very tough stuff.  I can't imagine it being very
expensive, though I've never bought it.  The last time I ran
underground conduit (the infamous "fart conduit") my friends and I used
a big spool of stuff that we bought from Home Despot.  It worked great.
  It was maybe 120' long and about 3" in diameter.

>> Make sure it's properly grounded!
>
> No doubt.  A quarter-mile of exposed metal wire at roof-level could
> attact
> a lot of lightning.

   Shit yeah.  And lots of induced voltage from even not-so-nearby
lightning strikes.  I hate to say this, but Greg is 100% correct
here...shield grounding and isolation are *very* important for long
[conductive] cable runs.

     -Dave

--
Dave McGuire                      "Dammit, now I wants me some
St. Petersburg, FL                  livers 'n gizzards."    -Bill