[rescue] Sun / Linux LX50

Tim H. lists at pellucidar.net
Wed Sep 18 18:41:12 CDT 2002

On Wed, 18 Sep 2002 16:12:47 -0700 (PDT)
vraptor at employees.org wrote:

> If you're going to spend $2800 for a Sun branded
> x86 box running Linux, what's another $350 to
> be able to manage it completely remotely?
>
> =Nadine=

Or, more to the point, if you are looking for an alternative to the Sun
box, how does a $1500 box plus a $350 card stack up against a $2800 Sun?
 I like non peecee hardware, but if I am gonna use a peecee I will spec
out the parts myself, thank you.  If I need a server, I'm gonna try to
avoid a peecee from any vendor, whether it be Sun, SGI, HPaq, or Joe's
Computer on the corner.  And no, with peecees I don't see an advantage
to a long service contract, especially since I can probably keep a hot
spare around for the price of a service contract from a big vendor, and
a hot spare is a lot quicker than anybodies same day service contract.

I think if you look at large mission critical systems you can see the
advantages of both approaches.  Large slow changing applications, like
telcos and such do very well with the big expensive long life products,
Places like Google do very well with commodity PCs, gives them a lot of
flexibility, and they are cheap enough to throw away.  I have trouble
justifying the expensive brand name peecee for anything.

Tim