[rescue] What speed memory in an SS20

John Ruschmeyer jruschme at comcast.net
Wed Sep 18 08:38:59 CDT 2002

Well, now I've gone and done it. In a bit of ebay frenzy, I bid on and one a
pair of 64mb DIMMS which I planned to put in my SS20. The problem is- I
didn't check the part numbers close enough and ended up bidding on a pair of
64MB DIMMS from an SS10 (Sun P/N 501-1930).

>From what I can tell, the SS10 DIMMS are 80ns while the correct ones for an
SS20 are 60ns, but are also supported on the SS10 and early Ultra systems.

So, I was wondering- is this a case of the SS20 requiring faster memory? Or
is it more a matter of Sun using one fast memory part for a whole generation
of systems and the older memory just never having been certified in the
SS20?

Anybody with real-world experience?

Thanks...
<<<john>>>