[rescue] Sun / Linux LX50

Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 patrick at zill.net
Tue Sep 17 13:22:43 CDT 2002

On Tue, Sep 17, 2002 at 01:05:13PM -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:

> I suspect you couldn't do that with an equivalent motherboard and
> equivalent quality integration.....

I dunno.  I guess it depends on what exactly you mean - Intel OEM mobos are.

> There's also the question of what potentially highly desirable BIOS mods
> Sun may have made......

If you can actually use the serial ports instead of needing a keyboard
and mouse to control the whole thing, and have it actually work well,
that would be a definite value add.

Many mobos let you do so after the machine has booted but in order to
control the BIOS you must sit down with keyboard and monitor in front
of the thing.

I am still however cynical, given that Sun's engineers couldn't even
manage to write a halfway decent IDE driver - how good will they be
with an x86 BIOS?

I will wait until others have bought and used the LX50, then (on
topic) will rescue them :-) .

Cordially
| Patrick Giagnocavo, patrick at zill.net           |
| Zill.Net - Colocation, OpenACS, Python hosting |
| OpenACS shared server          $39.99/month    |
| Colocation w/30GB transfer     $99.00/month    |
| Managed servers (incl. system) $175/month      |