[rescue] home at last

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Tue Sep 17 12:57:36 CDT 2002

   Hoo boy.  Finally got home Sunday night.  I was gone for about 2.5
weeks, my cat has been glued to me since I walked in the door.  It's
good to be home.

   Most of the point of this trip was to unload my storage locker in MD,
though it also involved the pickup of two piles of PDP11 hardware in PA
and the transfer of a large quantity of VAX hardware from Maryland to
Brian Hechinger's place in PA.  The truck weighed in at roughly
35,000lbs at the weigh station.  Its unladen weight is listed at
12,500lbs.  A little subtraction says there's 22,500lbs of stuff in the
box of that truck.  Needless to say, driving it down to FL
was...interesting.  Some of the highlights:

   Two *BIG* PDP-11/70 systems in corpcabs with TE16 magtape drives
   Two VAX4000-400 systems
   A VAX4000-300 system
   A VAX-11/730 system
   Numerous MicroVAX-II and -III systems
   Numerous smaller PDP11 systems including a MINC-11
   Two Cray YMP-EL98 supercomputers
   A Lintronic L300 phototypesetter
   Three DEC H960 racks full from top to bottom with test equipment
     (most of which was just stacked there for travel)
   Vacuum pump and chiller for the electron microscope

   So now begins the unloading process.  The big deal here was ditching
the [very expensive] storage locker and getting some stuff that I've
been needing for work for several months.  Thanks to George Adkins, Dan
Mayfield, Brian Hechinger, Linc and Michele Fessenden, Jason Colton,
Todd Holden, Keith Shaffer, and Kiran Wagle for making this happen.

         -Dave

--
Dave McGuire                      "Dammit, now I wants me some
St. Petersburg, FL                  livers 'n gizzards."    -Bill