[rescue] Chimera and Penguin? (SUN PCI cards)

Jonathan C. Patschke jp at celestrion.net
Tue Sep 17 12:48:32 CDT 2002

On Tue, 17 Sep 2002, Jonathan Sadler wrote:

> Just found a small pile of these cards at work and was wondering if
> anyone knows what they are.  They're PCI cards with Intel processors,
> and PC I/O ports.  Perchance are these the often sought "WINTEL on a
> card" boards?

Is it a Sun card?  What is the 501- number?

The SunPCi is a just-about-but-not-quite full length PCI card with an
AMD K6 CPU, two DIMM slots, a serial and parallel header on the card,
and VGA, USB, and audio ports on the bulkhead.

> If so, how do I go about getting them running?  Will they work under
> OSes other than Solaris, such as SuSE Linux or NetBSD?

If it is a SunPCi card, under Solaris, you download the SunPCi v1.xx
drivers, install them, reboot, and they pretty-much just work as
advertised.  Under everything else, you prepend the step "install
Solaris".  I'm fairly certain that the card is only supported under
Solaris/SPARC, not Solaris/x86.

--
Jonathan Patschke
   > Can you SysAdmins tell me what might go on in a typical day?
   Hours of endless frustration punctuated by moments of sheer terror.
                                 --Saul Tannenbaum (in the Monastery)