[rescue] Tape Backup

Geoffrey S. Mendelson gsm at bfr.co.il
Tue Sep 17 12:41:38 CDT 2002

Mike Meredith wrote:
> They're certainly expensive new, but 2nd hand is quite a bit cheaper
> especially the 20/40Gbyte models and smaller ... many places are
> replacing these with higher capacity drives. There's a brand new
> Benchmark DLT drive going on ebay.co.uk right now for 550UKP, and
> there's a bunch of older DLTs with bids less than 100UKP.

We bought a Benchmark DLT drive for $1400 + VAT. It's lasted about 6
months. (one tape a day, 5 days a week. Not IMHO very reliable. Now it
writes okay for 20 tapes, and then gets errors. Cleaning it does not
help (with cleaning tapes), switching brands of tape gives us another 20
writes. :-)

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson
Bloomberg L.P., BFM (Israel) 2 hours ahead of London, 7 hours ahead of New York.