[rescue] Compaq Thumb Screws

Tim H. lists at pellucidar.net
Tue Sep 17 09:10:52 CDT 2002

On Mon, 16 Sep 2002 23:42:35 -0400
Rob Harhen <axthrower at fozzy-networks.com> wrote:

> Get out the trusty drill and just drill out the front of the servers a
> bit.. Also any hardware store with a decent selection will have some
> screws that will work (not thumb screws)
>
> Rob

I wouldn't recommend drilling on your servers, just because I would hate
to see screws pull through and drop them.  Rack screws are usually 10-32
screws, sometimes 12-32.  You should be able to get 10-32 thumbscrews at
your local chain pretending to be a hardware store in the aisle with all
the little boxes of specialty fasteners.  If you want proper rack screws
(which have larger heads) you will probably need to order them from
whoever you buy other miscellaneous rack pieces from.

At the moment the catalog I have at hand is from Milestek
(http://www.milestek.com) they have rack screws as follows:

Phillips head $US14/100
Torx head     $US12/50
Square Drive  $US18/100

all include nylon washer to stop scratches

and some kind of quick release fasteners for $US4.95/4

They aren't thumbscrews, they look like a stud which you screw into the
rack so you can put the equipment in without having to hold it up and
then thumb nuts to hold it in.

Tim