[rescue] Tape Backup

Patrick Giagnocavo +1.717.201.3366 patrick at zill.net
Mon Sep 16 19:17:10 CDT 2002

On Mon, Sep 16, 2002 at 08:14:06PM -0400, Sheldon T. Hall wrote:
> Anyone got a "some other drive" I could rescue cheaply?

I would recommend looking into a CDRW drive along with a "scratch
disk" that will serve to hold your disk dumps.  As well, use a tool
like freeveracity or md5 or something to compute checksums for the
data before it is written to CDR and after it has been written to CDR.

If you have data useful to a business, you may wish to save it in a
format that can be read by something other than a Sun, unless you
always have a Sun around.  ISO9660 with filename extensions (to give
you long filenames) is supported by pretty much all CD recording sw,
and definitely on the Unix stuff.

Actually what I mean to say is that you may want to be able to access
just one file rather than having to wade through an entire dump.

> If you think I should get something else, but don't have one, what should I
> get?  What should I avoid?

CDR media only holds 650-700MB, but will be just as reliable holding
compressed data as uncompressed data, giving you almost the same
capacity as your current setup.  And CDR's can be had very very
cheaply if you buy in bulk.

Cordially
| Patrick Giagnocavo, patrick at zill.net           |
| Zill.Net - Colocation, OpenACS, Python hosting |
| OpenACS shared server          $39.99/month    |
| Colocation w/30GB transfer     $99.00/month    |
| Managed servers (incl. system) $175/month      |