[rescue] nvram soldering howto

Tim H. lists at pellucidar.net
Sun Sep 15 14:57:52 CDT 2002

On Sun, 15 Sep 2002 14:20:13 -0500
Scott Newell <newell at cei.net> wrote:

> Isn't the 32.768kHz crystal in the top section of the epoxy 'hat'?
> I've been cutting on my dead nvrams recently too (picked up battery
> holders at the Shack yesterday), but I was careful to only remove the
> half with the battery.  Does your clock still work on the modified
> NVRAMs?

I don't have any pictures, but could take some.  I just cut into the
battery end of the chip, between chip and hat, using a naked hacksaw
blade by hand to stay conservative, just far enough to get at the
conductors, sever one of the original battery connections (doesn't
matter which) and solder in, leavees the plastic hat basically
undisturbed, in case someone wants to get original Mac address from Sun.
(I understand you can with the barcode on the NVRAM) Last time I used 2
AAAs, next time I will just put a buttoncell holder in, so I can use
standard peecee 2032 lithium cells.  I am surprised the machine doesn't
throw a fit about the RTC not moving after you removed the Xtal.

Tim