[rescue] nvram soldering howto

Scott Newell newell at cei.net
Sun Sep 15 14:20:13 CDT 2002

>After soldering new batteries to yet another dead Sun NVRAM, I decided
>to take pictures of how I did it, and put them on the web.
>
>See http://www.belgers.com/computers/nvram/
>
>Warning: it doesn't look pretty ;-)

Isn't the 32.768kHz crystal in the top section of the epoxy 'hat'?  I've
been cutting on my dead nvrams recently too (picked up battery holders at
the Shack yesterday), but I was careful to only remove the half with the
battery.  Does your clock still work on the modified NVRAMs?

My battery choice will be a AA sized lithium cell (I've got a bunch) in a
rat shack single AA holder ($0.99).

newell