[rescue] SGI indigo2 boot problem

Walter Belgers walter+rescue at belgers.com
Sun Sep 15 13:25:27 CDT 2002

Jonathan C. Patschke wrote:

> > I have just gotten an SGI Indigo2 Extreme. It has one board in it, which
> > I am told is an extreme graphics board.
>
> Extreme is a three-board set.  The only single-card gfx options for
> Indigo2 are XL and Solid IMPACT.  To tell exactly what you've got, pull
> the case and look at the cardcage from the side.  The shield will flip
> down fairly easily.

Maybe I got only one of the three boards. It's a 030-8202-005 rev. E.

> > I have put in 4 SIMMs in bank 1 but the system won't boot.
> The bank closest to the rear, correct?  Indigo2 takes memory in a rather
> backwards order.

Yes, bank #0. Otherwise it will complain about the RAM. I don't know
much about the SIMMs (parity, speed) but they are 4x 4Mb.

> I'm guessing that you either have a dead or loose card in the cardcage,
> or that there's a crack in the midplane or the motherboard.  It's a Bad
> sign when the system can't even get you into the PROM monitor.  Try
> removing all the cards from the cardcage and attaching a serial
> terminal.

Did that, doesn't work. :( Probably a dead system then, I'll ask the
previous owner if he knows more. Thanks for the help so far.

Walter.
--
Walter Belgers         "Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus
walter at belgers.com       Latinis alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes!"